Saturday, May 12, 2007

Statistically Inaccurate?

I saw an article yesterday on CNN but didn't have time to read it. The headline was "U.S. Divorce Rate Lowest Since 1970." I again heard this headline on the news this morning. My first thought was "that's really cool." But then I realized it isn't a true statement. Yes, I'm sure that the statistics will show you that there were fewer divorces. But I wonder if the statistics are also lower for marriages as well. As a twenty-something I attend a lot of weddings. However, I also see a lot of people who decide that rather than commit to someone "to have and to hold from this day forward," they will just live together and "have and hold until things get rough." They may even do it for several years. Then when things get rough, they just break-up and find their own place. There was no marriage so there was no divorce. It breaks my heart to see this happening over and over again.

Mark 10:6-9

"But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female'. For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife; And the two will become one flesh; so they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I think you are right about this. It is sad...I am so blessed to be in a wonderful marriage.