Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Why the Internet Drives Me Crazy

Note: This is a rant.  This is my blog so I have the right to rant.  You have been warned.


You want to know one of my biggest peeves about this thing we call the World Wide Web?  I thought so.  It's when I click on a webpage and have then click on subsequent webpages to read the whole article or list.  NEWSFLASH: That's why God allowed the invention of the bullet list.  Let's take a note of how beautiful this works.  Imagine the article title is "The First Five Books of the Bible."  You click over on the webpage and expect to see the following:

  1. Genesis 
  2. Exodus
  3. Leviticus
  4. Numbers
  5. Deuteronomy
Isn't that nice?  A list of the books of the Bible in one place.  But no, that's not how the WWW works.  You have to click into the article for them to further describe what you'll be seeing.  It's a list of the first five books of the Bible in case you were confused and the title didn't accurately describe what was in the article.  Then you click and are taken to 1. Genesis.  Then you click next and it takes you to 2. Exodus.  Enough already!  Just put the list on one page.  It's the internet.  It's not like it's print and you need to save space.  Or if you're designing your webpages that way because of all the mobile devises accessing your side, give me the option to click one button to read it all in one place.  Some news sites do this, but rarely if ever the lists. Drives. Me. Nuts. 

Rant over.  I feel somewhat better now.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Yeah, I totally agree. I've started to skip stories/articles that do that now. I know they do it to get the page view count up, but I've seen a few lists that had 50 and 100 items in them...no way I'm going to click through all of that. Some even take a single short article, split it into 4-5 parts, and then decide to show you ads in between the different parts!

Anyway - I feel your pain. It doesn't look like this trend is going away anytime soon, but the web will be a better place whenever this practice goes out of style.

Autumn said...

Two months without random thoughts makes me sad.